Happy professional journey everyone! Have you made it out there in the world, or are you just starting out?
What’s your shtick, speciality or job role?
Job roles are used in business as a way to identify your purpose within a company and level of authority, but what do they actually mean and are they communication barriers when trying to build professional relationships or generate business?
To me, a job title/role should be a way of defining what you do in the organisation and provide you with clear tasks to follow, which will hopefully aid your professional success and add value to the company that employs you. Simple, but true.
Questions that I’ve asked myself in the past when I was just starting out in my career:
1) Why do I feel nervous when contacting a company director or owner? After all, they are people just like us.. right?
2) How do I encourage senior level people to return my call or email? Should I entice them with “an offer that they can’t refuse?”
3) What IS the right approach? Am I saying something wrong or not using proper etiquette?
My wish back then and sometimes even now is for an answer… a logical one…. one that would cure my curiosity so that I no longer need to ask why.
I’m a relationship building type of person and to me that means that everyone is a potential customer.
The top 3 things you should do:
- Seek knowledge in your role to build confidence (always ask questions)
- Prepare your own script to use when making phone calls (in your own words)
- Research the company you’re calling (It shows that you care and are not a “drone”)
In general, businesses that grow organically are much more likely to succeed in the long run. This means they have received recommendations based on service, professionalism, integrity,trust, quality etc. (Many,many test runs) by people.. just people.
Of course we all understand that those in senior positions have a lot on their plate and delegate representatives from within their company to deal with certain calls, emails and queries however; communicating is always the best way forward. I would like to keep you motivated by providing a nice little list of young successful people who made it to the top-level of their game before they reached 20.
Personally, I have a lot of respect for MD’s, Directors and Owners of companies who answer their own phone on occasion and “get their hands dirty” so to speak. It simply means that they have not lost touch with their customers and their staff for that matter because without them , a title is simply Mr or Mrs.
Present yourself and your company in the best light and you’re likely to succeed.